- This event has passed.
Europe Calling “Ukraine Update: What’s next two years after the full-scale invasion?”
15.February 17:30 - 19:30
Almost exactly two years ago, the Russian invasion of the previously unoccupied parts of Ukraine began. Since then, Ukraine has stood firm at great sacrifice. In doing so, it is not only protecting its own people, but also that of its neighbours and allies. Putin’s crude “interview” with the US right-wing extremist Tucker Carlson, in particular, shows how important this is.
Without the support of its allies in the EU, the USA and beyond, the whole of Ukraine would probably already be lost. But right now, at a time when the situation on the front is becoming increasingly precarious, support is no longer a certainty. The 50 billion in aid from the EU agreed just last week gives hope for the time being. But what the situation will look like after the European elections and the US elections is completely open. Trump’s Republicans in the USA are already blocking aid to Ukraine.
In our next Europe Calling, we take a look at Ukraine, its neighbours and its allies. What does Ukraine need? What is the situation in the attacked country, but also of its Eastern European neighbours? How can the EU, how can Germany prepare itself now for a possible crumbling of support on both sides of the Atlantic?
We want to talk about this with:
- Tata Marharian, Ukrainian combat medic and advocacy officer at the International Centre for Ukrainian Victory
- Tadeusz Iwański, Head of the “Belarus, Ukraine and Moldova” Department at the Centre for East European Studies in Warsaw, Poland
- Sabine Fischer, Senior Fellow in the working group “Eastern Europe and Eurasia” at the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP)
- Robin Wagener MdB, Chairman of the German-Ukrainian Parliamentary Group and Coordinator of the German Federal Government for Inter-Societal Cooperation with the Southern Caucasus, the Republic of Moldova and Central Asia
- Moderation: Maximilian Fries, Managing Director of Europe Calling
Date: Thursday, 15 February 2024, 17:30 – 19:30 (CET)
The webinar will be simultaneously translated into German and English.
With best regards in solidarity,
Maximilian Fries and everyone at Europe Calling e.V.