Europe Calling is probably the largest policy webinar format in Europe. Since 2017, more than 150,000 people from all over Europe and the world have regularly participated online, engaging directly with policymakers, leading academics, stakeholders and civil society representatives.
As a community, we strive to create an open transnational space for European citizens to engage, learn and organise a voice in the key European debates of our time.
- to make political processes, their backgrounds and political and economic power structures transparent and thus accountable;
- to strengthen the democratic civic society beyond national borders in Europe and internationally;
- to strengthen the quality of political decisions through citizen participation;
- counteracting disinformation, fake news and political populism through a culture of participation and democratic discourse;
- to open up access to interested citizens for democratic civil society organisations and their issues;
- to demonstrate opportunities for influence and participation and to support citizens in making use of these opportunities.
All webinars are recorded and viewable here: https://www.youtube.com/c/EuropeCallingWebinars/videos
Highlights of 147 webinars (Last updated: March 2023)
- More than 150,000 participants from all over Europe
- Over 450 high-profile guests, including
- EU Commissioners Margarethe Vestager, Didier Reynders & Virginijus Sinkevičius
- Vice-Chancellor Robert Habeck, Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock, German Finance Minister Olaf Scholz and Italy’s Finance Minister Roberto Gualtieri and Prime Minister Mario Monti, Greek Finance Minister Tsakalotos, Environment Ministers of Austria, Leonore Gewessler, and Luxembourg, Carole Dieschbourg, and Germany, Steffi Lemke
- Climate researchers Claudia Kemfert, Stefan Rahmstorf, Ottmar Edenhofer, digital researcher Shoshana Zuboff
- Economic and financial experts including ECB Director Isabel Schnabel, economist Lars P. Feld, transformation scientist Maja Göpel, economists Veronika Grimm, Monika Schnitzer & Achim Truger, tax expert Gabriel Zucman
- Civil society thinkers Luisa Neubauer (Fridays for Future), Jürgen Resch (Deutsche Umwelthilfe), Barbara Lochbihler (Amnesty), Joshua Wong (Hong Kong), Max Schrems (NOYB)
- and many more
- Multilingual in German, English, French and Italian (depending on the event)
- Recordings viewed more than 500,000 times
The webinar series was launched by Sven Giegold during his time as an MEP for Bündnis90/Die Grünen (The German Green Party). To ensure that Europe Calling could continue after Sven Giegold’s move to the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Protection, we founded Europe Calling e.V. together with 1,087 founding patrons in January 2022. As a party-politically independent association, we have continued to run Europe Calling ever since.