- This event has passed.
“Climate Fatigue: How to turn powerlessness into change?” – A webinar by “Power to the People”
22.June 20:00 - 22:00
“Anxiety, desperation, denial, action … people react differently to the ever-growing odds of climate catastrophe. For decades, movements have debated strategies mobilizing those emotions politically: turning fatigue into activism and direct actions. Groups like Extinction Rebellion, Just Stop Oil and Letzte Generation have shown both the potential and limitations within the current climate activism toolkit.
Indeed, the path to a just, forceful and inclusive climate action is full of obstacles for the many who feel powerless. Repression is fierce and growing, often fuelled by governments and defenders of the ending fossil fuel era alike. As climate urgency whistles ever more stridently to our ears, we must come together to imagine how to turn powerlessness into meaningful change.
Following this ambitious purpose, the Power to the People group organizes two multilingual virtual events on the 22nd and 29th of June 2023. Inviting citizens, activists and decision-makers all over Europe:
1 | PANEL OF PERSPECTIVES: Setting the stage
22 June 2023, 8-10pm CEST
Webinar with interpretation into French, English, German and Italian.
In the first event, we invite influential speakers from movements, science, politics and civil society to listen and learn about different perspectives to create a common base for the second event.
Our guests are:
- Caroline Hickman, Psychologist at the University of Bath (UK) specialised in climate psychology and eco-anxiety, well-known speaker and author
- Sven Hillenkamp, Sociologist, author and analyst of the climate protest movement with a history in direct action movements
- Terry Reintke, Member of the European Parliament for the German Green Party & co-leader of the Greens/EFA group
- Matteo Innocenti, Psychiatrist and President of the Italian Climate Change Anxiety Association
- Louis Fidel, Founding member of HEC (École des hautes études commerciales Paris) transition and former president of HEC’s ecologist society
- Kira Hoffmann, Representative of the group “Letzte Generation” in Germany
- More to come including representatives from the spectrum of the climate justice movement
Recording of the first event:
2 | SHARING SPACE: Small-group breakout rooms, so everybody gets room to share, empower and grow
29 June 2023, 8-10pm CEST
Meeting in English with multi-language subtitles
In the second event, we want to create a democratic, transnational space for people to share their emotions and personal experiences, empower each other and grow together.
Our guests are:
- All of you to share your experience and share the empowerment to action with people from all over Europe & selected panelists of the first event
Recording of the second event:
This is the fourth event of the European “Power to the People”-Cooperative of the organizations: European Alternatives, European University Institute, Europe Calling, Mehr Demokratie, Another Europe is Possible, Citizens Takeover Europe. Here to our first, second and third webinar.
Please, join us for both events and invite others.
With European greetings,
Max and everyone at Europe Calling