- This event has passed.
Europe Calling “A Just Green Deal? – Where does the EU stand in the socially just transition to a climate-neutral future?”
14.November 18:30 - 20:00
With the Green Deal, the European Union has taken important steps towards climate neutrality in the last four years. With the Climate Act, emissions trading, nature restoration and many other measures, a lot is happening.
This is good for the climate. But people in Europe with low and middle incomes in particular are also facing some major challenges as a result of the change, from heating their homes to cars they own. Where fears arise, populists and anti-democrats are not far away.
The Green Deal was meant to be socially just – but is it really?
The “just transition” is intended to make the transition to climate neutrality in the EU socially just. This includes, in particular, the EU Social Climate Fund, which is largely fuelled by revenue from emissions trading. At the same time, member states are introducing their own supports and subsidies, such as the climate bonus feebate in Austria, favoured by many.
In this webinar, we are bringing together high-level guests from politics, trade unions and science to take stock with you and ask how fair the Green Deal already is, what is still missing and how individual member states such as Austria are leading the way and what Europe can learn from this.
Also taking part:
- Keynote: Minister Leonore Gewessler, Federal Minister for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology, who has successfully introduced a climate feebate (“climate bonus”) in Austria.
- Svenja Appuhn, co-spokesperson of the German Young Greens, the youth organisation of Bündnis90/Die Grünen in Germany
- Prof Dr Matthias Kalkuhl, Head of the Economic Growth and Human Development Working Group at the Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and Climate Change (MCC) Berlin
- Katrin Langensiepen, Member of the European Parliament for Bündnis90/Die Grünen and co-negotiator of the EU Social Climate Fund
- Ben Lennon, climate and energy expert at the European Trade Union Confederation ETUC
Moderation: Maximilian Fries, Managing Director of Europe Calling
Date: Tuesday, 14 November 2023, 18:30 – 20:00 CET (Brussels time)
The webinar will be simultaneously translated into German and English.
Please, join us and invite others.
With European greetings,
Maximilian Fries and everyone at Europe Calling