- This event has passed.
Europe Calling “Fair Supply Chains! – Conference on the EU Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence Law”
31.May 18:00 - 20:00
Recording / Podcast
It is happening: At the next plenary session on 01 June 2023, the European Parliament will determine its position on the EU Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence Directive. Once again, the European Union sets to spearhead a law with international impact. In essence, this law will massively strengthen respect for human rights and environmental protection in global supply chains and make companies more accountable.
The debate on this law was tough and long. Rarely has there been so much lobbying against or for a law in the EU. MEPs from the conservative and liberal parties are still trying to weaken the law. So the vote will remain exciting until the very end!
On the occasion of the vote in Parliament, we at Europe Calling, in cooperation with Internal Market Committee Chair Anna Cavazzini MEP, want to give space for these concerns, praise and criticism and invite representatives from academia, civil society and industry to present their view and discuss with you.
Our guests are:
- Anna Cavazzini MEP, Chair of the EU Internal Market Committee (co-host of this webinar)
- Prof’in. Dr. Reingard Zimmer, Professor at the Berlin School of Economics and Law and expert for international labour rights
Associations and organisations
- Friends of the Earth Germany (BUND) – Ceren Yildiz, Research Associate “Environmental Protection in Supply Chains
- Cocoa Coalition – represented by Matthias Lange, Executive Director of the International Cocoa Initiative
- European Coalition for Corporate Justice (ECCJ) – Nele Meyer, Director
- German Mining, Chemical and Energy Workers’ Union (IGBCE) – Carola Dittmann, Head of CSR and Co-determination Foundation Work and Environment of the IGBCE
- SÜDWIND e.V. – Institute for Economy and Ecumenism – Eva-Maria Reinwald, Expert Promoter for Global Business and Human Rights
- Textile and Fashion Association – Ralph Kamphöner, Head of Brussels Office
- German Chemical Industry Association (VCI) – Dr. Pierre Gröning, Management European Office Brussels
- Machinery and Equipment Manufacturers Association (VDMA) – Holger Kunze, Managing Director European Office
- Dr. Maximilian Fries (Managing Director of Europe Calling)
Date: Wednesday, 31 May 2023, 18:00 – 20:00 hrs CEST (Brussels/Paris/Berlin)
The event will be simultaneously translated into German and English.
Invite others and join us!
With European greetings,
Maximilian Fries and all at Europe Calling