Russia’s terrible war against Ukraine has changed Europe. Never before has the European Union acted as united and resolute in foreign policy and defence – even if many argue it still needs to do more. Across the continent, there is a growing willingness to accept a joint responsibility to act together, including militarily, against aggressive, authoritarian regimes.
But are the EU and its institutions fit for this new reality? Currently dominated by the Member States, what should the role of the European Parliament, the European Commission and, ultimately, the sovereign citizens be, in a European Union at war or deeply involved in one?
As the Ukrainian conflict rages on – amidst others in the world – what actions, policies and democratic reforms would it take for the EU to become a genuine force for regional, even global peace?
This webinar will build on recommendations put forward by the 200 citizens as part of the Conference on the Future of Europe, to explore how Europeans can live up to their own values and finally break free from historical cycles of violence and exclusion. With the Conference due to conclude on 9 May in Strasbourg, we will also be exploring whether a future constitutional convention, organised as inclusive and participatory as possible, could provide an opportunity to more broadly, deeply and publicly discuss the EU’s role in the world.
When? Thursday, 21 April 2022, 5:30pm – 7.00pm CEST (Brussels/Berlin)
- Dajana Milinkovic – European Citizens’ Panel ambassador from Croatia, deputy spokesperson “EU in the World” Conference on the Future of Europe Plenary Working Group
- Klaudia Deirenne Mazur – European Citizens’ Panel ambassador from Poland, member of the “EU in the World” Conference Plenary Working Group
- Martin Speer – civil society voice & author, Jean Monnet Prize winner for European Integration 2018 – Project lead #EuropeanHomeParliaments by #PulseOfEurope
- Alfiaz Vaiya – Co-founder of Equinox Initiative for Racial Justice
- Danuta Hübner, EU in the World WG member, MEP (EPP) from Poland
- Viola von Cramon-Taubadel, EU in the World WG member, MEP (Greens/EFA) from Germany
The webinar will be simultaneously translated into English, German, French and Italian.
Join us and invite others!
With European greetings,
The Power to the People Project Group
Citizen Take Over Europe
European University Institute
Europe Calling e.V.
More Democracy e.V.
Pulse of Europe e.V.