RECORDING BELOW / SLIDES TO DOWNLOAD HERE
It is now official: The EU Commission classifies nuclear power and fossil gas as “sustainable” in the EU taxonomy.
In doing so, the Commission has not only ignored widespread criticism of the plans from politics, science, business and civil society but also takes away much of the credibility of the EU climate label for investments. This is a serious blow to the energy transition in Europe. After all, nuclear power and fossil gas are many things, but definitely not sustainable.
But the last word has not yet been spoken!
Both the EU member states and the European Parliament can still stop this greenwashing of nuclear energy and fossil gas. Luxembourg and Austria have already announced that they will bring the EU Commission to court over the plans. Moreover, a cross-party alliance is forming in the European Parliament. And more and more citizens and civil society groups are mobilising (e.g. with 150,000 signatures here).
In the next Europe Calling webinar, we will give this growing movement a space to exchange with each other and with you. Because now it’s time to stand together and keep going!
When? Tuesday, 8 February 2022, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. CET
Joining us will be:
- Carole Dieschbourg, Minister for the Environment, Climate and Sustainable Development of Luxembourg
- Leonore Gewessler, Federal Minister for Climate Protection, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology of the Republic of Austria
- Dr. Götz Reichert, Head of the Department for European Energy Law at the Centre for European Policy (cep)
- Karsten Löffler, Head of Frankfurt School – UNEP Collaborating Centre for Climate & Sustainable Energy Finance at the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management, Member of the EU Platform on Sustainable Finance
- Volker Weber, Chairman of the Board “Forum Nachhaltige Geldanlagen e. V.” & Member of the Supervisory Board, Eurosif, Brussels
- Michael Bloss MEP, Climate Policy Spokesperson of the Greens/EFA Group in the European Parliament
- Markus Ferber MEP, Coordinator for the EPP group y in the European Parliament’s Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs
- Paul Tang MEP, S&D shadow rapporteur for EU Taxonomy in the European Parliament’s Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs
- Sascha Müller-Kraenner, Federal Executive Director of Deutsche Umwelthilfe
- Magdalena Senn, Sustainable Financial Markets Officer at Bürgerbewegung Finanzwende
- Mira Jäger, Campaigner at Campact
- Nina Katzemich, EU Campaigner at Lobbycontrol
The webinar will be simultaneously interpreted into English and German.
Please join us and invite others!
With European greetings,
Maximilian Fries & all of us at Europe Calling